This post was sponsored by Better Than Bouillon as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
This past Saturday my 12 year old and I had a girls day out. Our goal was to walk about 5 miles to the craft store, because she needed a Calligraphy pen for school, then we stopped at our local library to check some books and DVD’s and as we already gotten hungry and it was getting darker, we decided to finish our GNO with some good eat together (Priceless memories). We decided to have a bite at Panera Bread.
Homemade Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe – just 7 Ingredients
- 1 Broccoli medium-large head (cut into florets) or 4 cups
- 1 medium carrot, matchstick cut. Or shredded carrots will do just fine (no more than ½ cup, see recipe notes below)
- 1 medium onion, chopped. Sometimes I add two onions, because I love onions in my soup HA!
- 8 oz cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- 1 TBS Oil or butter
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 and ½ cups half & half, light cream or heavy cream (milk will do to, but may not be as creamy)
- ¼ tsp nutmeg powder
- 1 TBS hot sauce (optional)
- Thickener (optional – see recipe notes below)
- Heat oil or butter in the pot, add onions and saute for 5 minutes
- Add chicken bouillon, broccoli, carrots, nutmeg
- Place on Manual high pressure, sealing position for 4 minutes
- Do a quick release and stir in cream
- Place pot back on saute, but do not bring to boil - stir in cheese and hot sauce
The soup should be already thick and creamy, but if not thick enough for you, here are few extra options -
1. you can add 1-2 TBS flour and mix it with butter when sauteing onions
2. Add corn starch and mix it according to instructions
3. For low carb thickener I use 1 TBS of plain gelatin. Mix it with hot water according to instructions
1. You can make this Broccoli Cheddar soup vegetarian if you add vegetable bouillon instead of chicken bouillon
If cheese clumping occurs, this mostly mean that the cheese is heavy processed. Shred your own block of extra sharp cheddar or mild cheddar instead.
2. Do not overdo carrots, maximum is ½ cup for this recipe, or else carrots may kill the flavor of broc&cheese
Serving size 1 Cup.
3. Serve it in a bread bowl or in a soup bowl. For a low carb version, just throw away the bread. It’s that easy LOL. But seriously this soup is very filling and you don’t need the bread.
4. Broccoli cheddar soup stove top. This soup is easily made the same way on stove top. Follow the same precise instructions and let it simmer on low heat for 30 minutes or until broccoli is very soft and break into small parts easily.
Latest posts by Irina (see all)
- Low Carb Keto Banana Zucchini Bread - May 23, 2019
- Instant Pot Egg Roll Bowls, Low Carb and Keto Friendly - May 9, 2019
- Best Low-Carb Keto Mug Bread, 90 seconds in microwave - March 20, 2019