The holidays are finally over and if you’re like me you’ve added a few unwanted pounds. From Halloween and Thanksgiving Day all the way through to New Years Eve it seems like there was a never ending feast of scrumptious yet calorie packed foods put in front of me. Now I am not that big on making resolutions since they say most of them are broken after only a couple of months. However I am all about exchanging my poor eating habits for healthy ones.
So far in 2016 I have been doing pretty good. I have cut out or reduced my carb intake and increased the amount of vegetables, lean meats, and fish that I consume. I haven’t had many challenges like family gatherings or birthday parties to go to so the temptations were not really present. But… I found out that my family and I were invited to a Super bowl bash that one of our good friends was hosting. Right away the alarm bells went off in my head. It’s a super bowl party so there is going to be tons of unhealthy food temptations all around me. I want to be able to enjoy myself but at the same time stay committed to healthy eating. Instead of sitting back and doing nothing I’ve been searching for delicious game day snacks that wont break my healthy eating streak. This is what I came up with so far and will be bringing some of the healthy foods to the party and to share with the crowd.
- Brown the wings and drumettes on the pan for 5-10 minutes to release excess oil from skin
- Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F
- Lay wings and drumettes on baking sheet
- Bake in oven for about 20 minutes until golden brown, then flip and bake for another 20 minutes until other side is golden brown
- Drizzle hot sauce over wings or serve the hot sauce on the side
If you want to upgrade your wings and make them saucy then you should look at my husband’s most delicious wings
The best breadless bread ever! I’ll be sure to bring 2-3 batches of these cloud breads as they will go along with all meats, vegetables and dips without a need to eat chips and bread. Take a look!
The weird thing about these Greek meatballs is that they taste better cold! So you can make them ahead and bring them to your next party.
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 onion (grated over the meat so the juices will be soaked by it)
- green or orange bell pepper (grated over the meat)
- 1 teaspoon chicken boullion
- black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup cooked rice (more or less depending on your taste)
- Flour for coating
- Olive Oil for frying
Full instructions here
This is the most simplest recipe and the chips are perfectly crispy and delicious. This is my #1 Healthy green snack. Eat healthy without sacrificing the flavor! Take a look!
Simple and tasty Caprese Bites
- fresh mozzarella cheese, cubed
- fresh basil leaves
- cherry tomatoes
- toasted baguette, sliced (also try them on the breadless Cloud bread. So yummy!)
- balsamic vinaigrette or vinegar (whichever you like)
- toothpicks (Recipe and photo courtesy of Jenni from Sweet Pennies from Heaven)
Low-carb Zucchini Pizza boats
It’s not going to take you long to come up with something as yummy as this low carb zucchini pizza boats with only few ingredients. Full recipe and instructions here
Seriously easy peasy grilling recipe, that tastes divine! It’s like meatloaf wrapped in onions! Not a ton if ingredients and full instructions here
My husband, my kids and I love hummus. We’ve tried all different flavors and brands, but this home made recipe is our favorite. I had no idea hummus was so easy to make until I tried it. This tastes super fresh and we know exactly what is in it. Photo and recipe courtesy of Donna Hup. Instructions here
- Use celery, broccoli, red, yellow, orange bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers
- Serve with a healthy dip of yogurt, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, pepper and spices such as curry or dill on the side (Photo courtesy of Cook Eat Share)
Arugula and pear Salad with toasted walnuts and Goat Cheese
Only few ingredients that are so simple and tastes divine! Recipe here
Shot of Chili
For a great appetizer idea serve the chili in shooters with a dollop of sour cream on top. Since chili can be filling serving them in shooters would allow your guests to enjoy other appetizers that you may be serving.
Using this approach and some of my suggestions above, you don’t need to cheat. As long as you choose foods that won’t spike insulin, you have many options that’ll let you wake up Monday morning feeling good about yourself and what you ate — even if your team loses!
As for drinks, those who really want something stronger, go for wine or hard liquor. Avoid beer, which is like eating bread!
Do you know someone who needs a Super Bowl recipe make over? Please share this list of recipes & ideas with them!
Let me know what healthy recipes you’re going to be making for your party. I always looking to try something new, specifically healthy, tasty and low carb
You may also find this useful:
Latest posts by Irina (see all)
- Better than Takeout – 2 Ingredient Crispy Pizza Crust - June 1, 2018
- How to make Easy Instant Pot hard boiled eggs, No Peeling involved - May 12, 2018
- 2018 Mother’s Day Gift Crushes – Unique Gift Ideas Moms Will Love - May 2, 2018