Homemade apple cider is actually really very simple to make. Preparation time is about 5 minutes. Lately I have seen people raving about homemade apple cider made in a slow cooker. Well, I don’t have a slow cooker and I decided to give it a try on my stove top. I really love this boil method. Not only because your house will smell amazing for hours, but there are more nutrients go into the water making it naturally sweet – with no added sugar or store bought apple juice.
- Flushes toxins
- Aids weight loss
- Fights cancer
- Boosts immune system
- Speeds up metabolism
- Aids digestion
- Improves brain function
In this homemade spiced apple cider there are a little more ingredients involved. All the good stuff!
Ingredients for Homemade Apple Cider:
4 lbs apples, assorted variety (about 8 medium apples)
1 large orange
4 medium cinnamon sticks
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 Tbsp whole cloves
10 to 11 cups water. 1 TBS Honey (Optional)
How To Make Spiced Apple Cider:
4. Bring the pot to a boil over high heat (now lean over and savor this amazing aroma), then reduce heat to medium and lightly boil uncovered for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low, and simmer another hour. The juice should begin to turn amber in color when it’s finished. The flavor should be sweet and spicy. If it isn’t sweet enough for you – you can add more honey
5. Strain your cider through a fine mesh colander or through a fine mesh nut milk food strainer bag. I found that strainer bag outperformed a regular strainer or cheese cloth, making it very easy to squeeze as much juice as possible and discard the fruit pulp and spices.
Serve hot. This apple cider refrigerates well and is really easy to heat up on the stove top or in the microwave. Give a cold version a try too during the hot summer month for a boosted detox apple cider drink.
Credits: Inspiration and adaptations from: Natasha of natashaskitchen.com
Latest posts by Irina (see all)
- Best of Nevis – A Must visit small Caribbean Island still unspoiled by tourism - November 29, 2017
- Best Coconut Curry Chicken Noodle Soup (Recipe) - October 5, 2017
- NYC Travel Tips: 20 Do’s and Don’ts for Visiting New York City like a Pro! - September 14, 2017