So I was making my weekly batch of cloud bread and decided to give it a sweet twist and turn it to a savory satisfying dessert that isn’t packed with sugar, carbs, and other bad things.
What if there was a way to have your cake and eat it too? That old proverb never made sense to me up until now. I found a way to enjoy a delicious fresh summer dessert without being loaded with all of those carbs. I want to tell you about my new low-carb cloud bread strawberry shortcake extravaganza. And thanks to the month of June being a national strawberry month and a national Strawberry shortcake month, here is the recipe and pictures of how it came out.
I made this recipe yesterday with my daughter and it was super delicious. The best part about it is I didn’t feel like I was eating a low-carb dessert and from the other side, I didn’t feel like I was in sugar coma and didn’t feel over-stuffed at all. Don’t just take my word for it. This is something you really need to try for yourself. It is so easy to make. All you need is cloud bread, fresh strawberries and whipped cream.
Ingredients for the Cloud bread strawberry shortcake biscuits
3 eggs (separated)
4 TBS cream cheese (room temp)
1 TBS Brown sugar (sub for favorite sweetener of your choice that would equal to 1 TBS – you don’t want your biscuit to be too sweet)
1/4 Tsp Baking Powder
Ingredients for filling
1 cup of Heavy cream
1-2 cups of fresh sliced strawberries
1 TBS Vanilla (you can sub for sweetener of your choice) In my opinion and to my liking 1 TBS of Vanilla did a great job. The whipped cream wasn’t too crazy sweet but sweet enough to love and enjoy the savory taste of cake
Optional – Basil or Mint leaves for decoration
Directions for Cloud bread strawberry shortcake biscuits
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit (150 degrees Celsius). While preheating, prepare the baking sheet with the parchment paper with lightly cooking spray or greased with Avocado oil or Olive oil.
- Separate the eggs, there must be no yolk in the white.
- In one bowl, mix together the egg yolks, cream cheese and sweetener (optional) until smooth.
- In the second bowl add 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder to the egg whites and beat the whites on high speed until they are fluffy, form a nice peaks and hold their peaks. This takes few minutes and it should look something like this: (You can watch my video of how to make cloud bread in this post)
- Slowly fold the egg yolk mixture into the egg whites and mix carefully, you don’t want to break the fluffiness of the egg whites too much.
- Spoon the mixture into 10-12 even rounds onto lightly greased baking sheet. For this cloud bread strawberry shortcake recipe I spooned into larger rounds ( I had approximately 8 rounds) and put it in the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes on the middle rack until slightly golden brown.
- Then broil (cook top only for 1 minute or a minute and a half) until beautiful golden brown
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
Directions for filling
- Beat the heavy cream on medium speed (this should take about 2-3 minutes)
- Slice your strawberries
- Spoon the whipped cream mixture evenly onto the cloud bread and place sliced strawberries on top. Then do the same with the second layer
- Decorate your third layer (top layer) with whipped cream and strawberries on top and optionally decorate your cake with fresh mint leaves or fresh basil leaves.
You just created a satisfying savory strawberry shortcake dessert that is so light, so fluffy, not over-powering at all and is practically melts in your mouth with every bite! The whipped cream, fresh strawberries and cloud bread together create a perfect combination and add juiciness and moisture to the whole entire cake that can be eaten by yourself or easily be shared with a friend or family member. Enjoy!
Please tell me how you are enjoying your cloud bread Strawberry shortcake dessert? Do you know someone that would love to make these without sugar or carb overload?, please feel free to share this recipe with them! I would love to see how yours came out! Please post your photos to my Facebook Page.
Latest posts by Irina (see all)
- NYC Travel Tips: 20 Do’s and Don’ts for Visiting New York City like a Pro! - September 14, 2017
- Top 9 Tips for Visiting Iceland This Summer | #Travel - July 22, 2017
- The Fluffiest Ricotta Soufflé Low Carb Pancakes – Only 4 Ingredients - June 30, 2017