When I think back to some of my favorite home cooked meals that I enjoyed as a child, several favorites come to mind. There was the delicious meatloaf that my Mom would cook up along with my Dad’s famous mashed potatoes. There is nothing like meatloaf and mashed potatoes to fill up your belly on a hungry night. I was thinking what if there was a recipe that combined meatloaf and mashed potatoes. Not just putting meatloaf on your plate with a side of mashed but somehow combining the two into one. So during this past weekend I hosted a small gathering and came up with a dish I like to call meatloaf cupcakes.
And for those of you watching your carb intake, I came up with a healthy low-carb version. So read on.
It is meatloaf in the shape and size of cupcakes but they have delicious homemade mashed potatoes and secret sauce on top. Well the sauce isn’t really a secret since I’m just about to tell all of you the recipe. This recipe can work with ground beef, turkey, or chicken and you may be able to pull if off with ground salmon. Give this one a try and your family will be praising your cooking genius. Not only they look amazing, but taste amazing too.
INGREDIENTS (includes the prize winning Quick oats meatloaf recipe)
1 lb Ground Beef
3/4 cup Milk
1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/2 cup Quick Oats
1 tsp Salt
2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 cup finley chopped onions
2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 cup Almond meal
For the sauce:
1/4 cup BBQ sauce ( or ketchup)
2 tsp Mustard
Optional – 1 TBS Brown Sugar
2 cups Mashed Potatoes ( Optional: I added 3 tbs cream cheese and butter) for Mashed potato frosting.
1 cup Guacamole (For the savory low-carb – Guacamole frosting)
Preheat Oven to 350.
Place prepared mashed potatoes and prepared guacamole mixture in a zippered bags or piping bags and set aside for later.
Combine Ketchup (or bbq sauce), Mustard and brown sugar, mix and set aside.
Combine remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.
Press this mixture into muffin pan holes. This mixture will fit nicely muffin pan 12 holes ( meatloaf cupcakes)
Spread top of each with the ketchup-mustard mixture.
Bake for 30-40 minutes.
Allow to sit for 5 minutes, remove from muffin pan, put cupcakes on a plate, spread the prepared ketchup-mustard mixture and pipe on a mashed potato “frosting” and guacamole “frosting” on top.
These savory cupcakes were very easy to make. Prep time – about 10 minute. Cook time 30-40 minutes. Piping mashed potatoes frosting was not difficult at all.
Nutrition per cupcake:
210 calories with potato frosting, 7 smart points, 12 g of protein, 12 g of carbs
217 calories with guacamole frosting, 7 smart points, 12 g of protein, 7 g of carbs
Let me know if you’re going to try this Meatloaf cupcakes recipe with mashed potatoes or guacamole frosting? I hope you will enjoy as much as my family enjoyed it.
Quick tip – The meatloaf cupcakes can be stored in a refrigerator in a plastic container. If you decide to heat it up the next day – put the cupcake in a toaster and toast it for 2 to 4 minutes. The mashed potatoes peaks will even turn the beautiful golden brown color. The next day they are so delicious too. I only have 1 left in the fridge and I’m going to eat it up now 🙂 Enjoy!
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 Egg
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 cup Quick Oats
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 cup finley chopped onions
- 2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 cup Almond meal
- 1/4 cup Ketchup
- 1 TBS Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp Mustard
- 2 cups Mashed Potatoes ( Optional: I added 3 tbs cream cheese and butter) Mashed potato frosting.
- 1 cup Guacamole (For the savory low-carb - Guacamole frosting)
- Preheat Oven to 350.
- Place prepared mashed potatoes and prepared guacamole mixture in a zippered bags or piping bags and set aside for later.
- Combine Ketchup Mustard and brown sugar, mix and set aside.
- Combine remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Press this mixture into muffin pan holes. This mixture will fit nicely muffin pan 12 holes ( meatloaf cupcakes)
- Spread top of each with the ketchup-mustard mixture.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes, remove from muffin pan, put cupcakes on a plate, spread the prepared ketchup-mustard mixture and pipe on a mashed potato “frosting” and guacamole "frosting" on top.
Latest posts by Irina (see all)
- Top 9 Tips for Visiting Iceland This Summer | #Travel - July 22, 2017
- The Fluffiest Ricotta Soufflé Low Carb Pancakes – Only 4 Ingredients - June 30, 2017
- Travel to Norway: 5 Tips for Visiting Oslo - June 22, 2017